Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Interview with Michael J. Lee


As part of the bewitched booktours, Michael J. Lee stops by my blog today for an interview. I really enjoyed My frankenstein, as a fan of the original story I really wanted to read this book. I want to thank Michael J. Lee   for taking the time to answer my questions.

So give a warm welcom to Michael J. Lee





1. Can you tell a little bit about yourself?

I've been writing for waaay too long. I started writing short stories in College. Then one day I made the finals on the Disney Screenwriting Fellowship. I moved out to LA and concentrated on screenplays. I learned quite a bit and became an excellent script reader and judge. One of my screenplays got me a manager. At his behest I looked at transforming My Frankenstein which at the the time was a screenplay into a novel.

2. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Around the time I discovered Poe and short horror fiction when I was a kid. Those were the only interesting books from the school library.

3. What comes first? The story, the character(s) or the idea for the novel?

They all sort of come about at the same time. Rather, I need to have all three working in sync before a project really takes off for me. I need characters who jump out, a compelling plot to occupy them. and an original concept to tie all together. You try to start without one of the three and you'll just be spinning on your wheels.

4. What would be your favorite past time activity, when you are not writing?

Cooking. I'm addicted to Food Network and the shows like No Reservation and Bizarre Foods.

5. Are there any writers out there that have inspired you?

To many to neme but here's just a partial list, J.R.R. Tolkien, Gene Wolfe, Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis, Charlaine Harris, Vivi Anna, Michele Hauf, Scott Westerfeld, Cory Doctorow, Stephanie Meyers, JK Rowling.

6. Can you tell a little more about your book: My Frankenstein?

It's a romantic retelling of the story told mostly through the eyes of a young, inquisitive girl who meets the Baron and is swept off her feet by him. There are some critical changes some mordern twists. A love triangle develops between the three manin characters, one that's resolved in a fiery conclusion.

7. What inspired you to write this story?

I've always been a huge Frankenstein fan since I was a young boy. I was always fascinated by the different ways it was adapted in film. Universal wnet one way, Hammer Films went in a slightly different direction. It seemed only natural for me to take a stab at it.

8. Which character did you enjoy writing about the most and why?

Definitely Viktor because he's so evil yet so likable and even a little sympathetic. He does horrible things but he was his reason and his motivation. He truly believes what he's doing is right. Plus he's so proactive and commited. As with all the best villains he's just a few degrees off from being a hero.

9.  If you could have dinner with one of your characters who would you choose and why?

Viktor, but only because he'd have the fanciest spread! I'd definitely check to make sure my wine didn't have arsenic in it.

10. Do you get a lot of respnses from your readers?

Everyone who has read it has had nothing but praise. I know that can't last. If this book is going to sell well inevitably there's going to be that one guy who has to be contrary.

11. What are you currently working on?

I'm polishing up a new novel called From Russia with Blood. It combines another two of my favourite genres. I'll let you guess which ones.

12. Is there anything you would like to say to your readers?

Besides "Buy my book!" Write what fascinates you. If you don't love it, it'll show. Put your heart into it. Love your chracters, you're going to be spending a lot of time with them. Don't get discouraged by rejections. It takes a lot of cuurage to say "Yes! We're going to buy that story!" It doesn't cost them anything to say "No!"








Author Bio

"Michael Lee is a script consultant, judge and entertainment blogger for The Wrap.com and has lived in Detroit, Connecticut, Ohio and Los Angeles."
http://www.thewrap.com/blog/michael-lee

Giveaway:

Micheal J. Lee is giving away one kindle edition of his book! Leave a comment on this interview including your e-mail adress and I'll pick a winner at the end of next week.

5 comments:

  1. TY to the Book Girl!

    (don't put me in the giveaway LOL)

    I just wanted to say thanks for having me on your incredible site.

    Best wishes to you and all your followers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your welcome, I found it very interesting to read your answers to my questions. And thank you for taking the time to answer them for me

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a great book!

    jesilea (at) charter (dot) net

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Frankenstein sounds awesome. I am a huge Frankie fan myself. I love new twists on classic stories. Best of luck with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone who participated. Congrats to Jesilea! I hope everyone else on My Book Addiction will check out My Frankenstein!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading comments and I always try to comment back, so make sure you leave a link to your own blog! As from today this an award free blog. I love the fact that I get them but I just don't have the time to pass them on and your comments are the biggest awards I could get!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...