Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Review: From Dark Places by E.J. Newman

Title:               From Dark places
Author:           E.J. Newman
Pages:             111 ( on my e-reader )
Catagory:        horror



The story:

Abby finds a creative solution to her father's problems. Ben makes a pact with the Devil for a new Mum. Katie is pursued by unrelenting voices. John just found his colleague's hand in a strange girl's lap. Jarvis is falling apart on his wedding day. Rosalind comes face-to-face with her number one fan. And that is just the beginning. 

E.J. Newman's debut anthology is a dark and twisting journey across the urban landscape, mining the rich seam of human frailties with insight and humour. The stories traverse the magical and the mundane, where supernatural beings are indistinguishable from their mortal counterparts in their complexity and complicity. 

“Newman is unafraid to explore the darker side of fiction and, by extension, life. The stories are by turns touching and funny and heartwarming. And dark. In places very, very dark. Leave the light on.” 
DAN POWELL, 2010 Yeovil Literary Prize winner 
( Short Story) 

“Gods, demons and angels inhabit these pages, as much at home as the cheating spouses, spurned lovers and ugly, foul-mouthed orphans. Newman is a powerful emerging voice in dark fiction. I'll be watching out for more of her stuff. You should too.” 
ALAN BAXTER , Author of ‘RealmShift' and ‘MageSign


The view of a book addict:


I just love short stories and I think authors writing them are really talented. Because you have to build up the tention in such a short time. Every story of this book stars out as something that could happen in everyday life. But they just change into something out of a horror movie. I loved it!
This book kept me on the edge of my seat and I just couldn’t put it away. I wanted to know what the next story would be like and what strange and horrible things would happen to the people in the stories.

The verdict of a book addict:


I loved every short story in this book! I think most of the stories will haunt me tonight but I don’t mind because that is what a good horror story should do!


Total of Ratties:




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments and I always try to comment back, so make sure you leave a link to your own blog! As from today this an award free blog. I love the fact that I get them but I just don't have the time to pass them on and your comments are the biggest awards I could get!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...