Thursday, December 23, 2010

Review: Twice bitten by Chloe Neill

Goodreads summary:

Merit, Chicago’s newest vampire, is learning how to play well with others. Other supernaturals, that is. Shapeshifters from across the country are convening in the Windy City, and as a gesture of peace, Master Vampire Ethan Sullivan has offered their leader a very special bodyguard: Merit. Merit is supposed to protect the Alpha, Gabriel Keene—and to spy for the vamps while she’s at it. Oh, and luckily Ethan’s offering some steamy, one-on-one combat training sessions to help her prepare for the mission. 

Merit must accept the assignment, even though she knows that she’ll probably regret it. And she’s not wrong. Someone is gunning for Gabriel Keene, and Merit soon finds herself in the line of fire. She’ll need all the help she can get to track down the would-be assassin, but everywhere she turns, there are rising tensions between supernaturals—not least between her and a certain green-eyed, centuries old master vampire.

Review: Spoiler alert

The story picks up where the last book stopped, Merit goes to the appointment that was mentioned in the note she got. Here she meets with the leader of the rogue vampires and he has a proposition for her. He wants her to join the Red Guard, wich means that if there is a war she will be asked to stop being loyal to her liege ( Ethan Sullivan ) and join the Guard to keep all the vampires save. But this also means she ahs to spy on her Liege and that is something Merit isn't willing to do yet. After reading this chapter I really thought it would be more about the Red Guard but it acutally goes in a whole other direction.

The end of the last book also tells us that the werewolves are visiting the city to decide if they would stay where they are or if they would all go back to Aurora. The packleader of the werwolves asks Merit to be his bodyguard, but of course she doesn't have to do this alone. Ethan sullivan will be at her side and he will be training her. Of course the tension between them is still there and to be honest I really thought to myself please do it already so that tension will be gone.

Ethan decides to break Merit's heart and at the same time his old student and flame comes to the house. The meeting of the packs isn't going according to plan of course and someone is trying to kill the Alpha, so Merit has to face Ethan en work with him even after he breaks her heart. I'm not going to tell the end of this book because you really should read it for yourselve.

Verdict

As I said before I really wanted Ethan en Merit to just get it on, so the tencion between them would dissapear. I loved the tension in the first two books but in the third book it kind of annoyed me.
But I really liked the whole werewolf story, it brought a lot of action to the book and I love some action.
The alpha did suprise me in het end! But what I really missed was the Red Guard, you're told about it in the first chapter and it appears again later in the book but it's not in the main story line. And because they build the tension for this in the first book I really expected it to be more prominent in this book.
But the book didn't dissapoint me I really loved it just as the first two books, Merit is her old self and just says what's on  her mind. I really liked the new characters and would love to read more about them in the next book!

Total of Ratties:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading comments and I always try to comment back, so make sure you leave a link to your own blog! As from today this an award free blog. I love the fact that I get them but I just don't have the time to pass them on and your comments are the biggest awards I could get!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...